Welcome back to AWE Talks, our series that revisits the most engaging content from AWE’s catalog of conference sessions. Now that AWE Asia 2023 has concluded, we have a fresh batch of sessions to dive into.
This week, we spotlight a panel discussion on the current state of XR adoption, and how the technology will reach its next inflection. This includes tactics for enterprises to effectively adopt XR and realize value.
See the summarized takeaways below, along with the full session video. Stay tuned for more video highlights each week and check out the full library on awe.live and AWE’s YouTube Channel.
Ms. Joanne Teh, Infocomm Media Development Authority, Assistant Director of Innovation
Ms. Michelle Khoo, Deloitte, Center Leader, Deloitte Center for the Edge Southeast Asia
Mr. Terence Loo, Serl.Io, Co-Founder and CEO
Mr. Benjamin Chen, SMRT Corporation Ltd, Lead, Learning TechnologiesHERe
– Despite common refrains, XR will not be revolutionary but will slowly assimilate with our lives.
– XR will mature when it's central to our lives in ambient ways, as smartphones are today.
– Speaking of smartphones, there are several historical lessons and parallels to XR evolution.
– For example, Blackberry users rejected touch interfaces at first but eventually came around.
– This is where we are today with XR: there are cultural and habitual barriers to overcome.
– In that assimilation and education process, the metaverse has been a blessing and a curse.
– It elevated excitement levels about XR, but also dragged XR down with its undefined state.
– That confusion continues to show itself today, especially among XR-curious enterprises.
– This leads to a need for lots of education when XR vendors start working with enterprises.
– They need to be told what aspects of XR are real, and what aspects are fantasy.
– The latter includes XR concept demos, such as whales jumping out of basketball courts.
– Along with enterprise education, XR vendors need to learn client operations on deep levels.
– An intimate knowledge of enterprise goals and current dynamics is needed for XR success.
– Don't push solutions in search of problems. Goal-based implementations are needed.
– Enterprises also have to be at the right stage of readiness, including XR commitment levels.
– They also need tech pre-requisites for XR to work, including strong data systems, (e.g., IoT).
– Inclusive development is also recommended, so that perspectives are multidimensional.
For more, see the full session below...