Welcome back to AWE Talks, our series that revisits the most engaging content from AWE’s catalog of conference sessions. To gear up for AWE USA 2023, we're diving into the most insightful and evergreen sessions from recent AWE events.
This week, we examine best practices in building a career as an XR developer. Where do you start, and how do you build a resume in a relatively nascent field? Microsoft Product Manager Nakita Chand tells her story.
See the summarized takeaways below, along with the full session video. Stay tuned for more video highlights each week and check out the full library on awe.live and AWE’s YouTube Channel.
And check out the AWE USA 2023 speakers and agenda, just added...
Nakita Chand - Product Manager at Microsoft
Stephane Licina - Partnerships Manager at Circuit Stream Inc.
– XR job hunting and career development come with their own set of challenges.
– Because the field is relatively new, resume building is harder than it usually is.
– Yet there are 6,000+ open XR positions in the US according to Circut Stream.
– So how do developers chase their passions and turn them into XR work?
– There are several career hacks to get there says Microsoft's Nakita Chand.
– For example, apply curiosity and fail fast in launching your own projects.
– This can quickly build skills that may be applicable to paid XR work.
– Examples include everything from hackathons to passion projects.
– And be vocal about your work. Be your own advocate on LinkedIn, et al.
– Also be "forever a student," as the XR stack is nascent and evolving fast.
– Another career hack is to reverse engineer job searches, by reviewing many.
– After getting a sense of commonly desired skills, start developing them.
– Also apply classic tactics: networking, meetups, and go to AWE USA!